Monday, November 12, 2012

Vegan

Wow! It has been a long time! Not much in my life has changed except for the fact that I became vegan last May and it completely changed my life. It all started with a book called "skinny bitch" (get it here: http://www.amazon.com/Skinny-Bitch-Rory-Freedman/dp/0762424931/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352728089&sr=8-1&keywords=skinny+bitchs+book You won't regret it!) I bought the book over a year ago and it had been sitting in my closet collecting dust until one day when I was feeling really frustrated with my  weight  I finally opened the book and started reading. I finished it a couple days later with an entirely different view on my eating habits. I have been vegan ever since! Occasionally I have slipped up on my vegan diet and I feel like crapola! Those times serve as good reminders of why I did what I did. I wish I would have become vegan a long time ago and I want to spread the word so that others can feel this good too. One of  my goals for this blog from this point forward is to show others how delicious it is to be vegan! 


 Recipe#1 Sweet Potato Burgers! Enjoy! 





Sweet Potato Burgers:

(Vegan - makes 8-10 patties)

2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 lbs.), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
15 oz. black beans, drained
1 cup sweet corn
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup quinoa, cooked
1/2 cup rolled oats (or almonds)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBSP cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4-1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, or cayenne (more or less to taste)
1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper

Oil for pan frying.

Method:
Cube your potatoes (leaving the skin on) and  oven roast (400f.) until they are soft enough to mash

Meanwhile, cook your quinoa. A 1/2 cup of dry will make enough for the burgers, but feel free to make extra. Add the quinoa to a small pot over medium heat, and let it toast for a minute or two. Add double the amount of water, bring to a simmer, and cover. Let cook 12-13 minutes, turn off the heat, and let it sit without removing the lid for another 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, meanwhile... Add your oats (or almonds) to the bowl of your food processor and pulse until it looks like very coarse flour. About 30-40 pulses.

In a large bowl, combine about 2/3rds of the beans, and 2/3rds of the sweet potato. Mash with a potato masher until slightly chunky and not quite smooth. Add in the rest of the beans, sweet potato and all of the seasonings. Give it another mash or two, keeping some of the texture.
Add all the other ingredients, and stir to combine.

Heat a skillet over medium-high, and add a drizzle of oil. Form about 1/2 cup of the mixture into a tight ball, then press it between your hands into a patty. Place patties in the hot skillet and cook 4-5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate in the oven to keep warm, and repeat with the rest of the mixture. Add oil and adjust the heat on the pan as needed. 

Serve the sweet potato burgers on a toasted bun with veganaise, mustard, and ketchup

No comments:

Post a Comment